Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 11 : Cheesy Chicken Tater Tot Casserole



Original Source: The Country Cook

FIND RECIPE HERE

Let me say, this was a pain in my $##. Not the recipe itself, but because of the number of days I tried to make it and kept forgetting to start the crock pot! 2 or 3:00 would roll around and I'd remember and.. yeah, new plans for dinner. I'm not used to using a crockpot outside of weekends, unless it's for beans.

Ok, onward and upward!

My thoughts:
Tasty. My guy agreed, as did my Teen Boy. Teen Daugher (As usual) wasn't around.

However, we all agreed that this dish would be far better served as a breakfast dish. Take out the chicken, use sausage instead, and this would get 4 stars instead of the 3 we gave it. Also, I don't use fake bacon for anything. So I used real bacon, slightly cooked, and cut into pieces. Next time, I'll cook the bacon more, because it never developed a nice, crunchy texture.

1 problem with the recipe. Granted, I could be blind and I'm known for not being able to see what's right in front of me, but the recipe layers everything out yet forgets the first layer of cheese. By the time you get to the second layer, it's tell you it's the third. Not so. So my bottom layer had no cheese :( It wasn't missed, however, so carry on.  The tater tots throughout take on a rice-y texture and is quite lovely, while the top layer keeps its tater tot shape. Seriously, as a breakfast, this would be far better. The chicken was an unneeded distraction that I ended up pushing aside.



No comments:

Post a Comment