Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 12: Frosty Protein Shake

Original Source: Meals and Moves


Get recipe HERE

This one's going to be short and sweet. No need for a picture (and honestly, there was no time). But mine looked pretty similar to this, just a bit darker. Maybe I used more cocoa powder. Regardless, the thickness comes from an ingredient called xanthan gum, which I certainly didn't have in the house.


But since a lot of upcoming recipes call for this anyway, I decided to hunt it down. It wasn't hard. I found it at a local health food store. They have it in jars for about 10 bucks, or little packets (much like active dry yeast pouches) for about 60 cents each. I went that way. Also, because I felt victorious for just finding this stuff, I used only it and skipped the guar gum since it was merely a suggestion. 

Anyway, this tastes NOTHING like a frosty. It tastes just like a plain chocolate protein shake. The only thing I can guess is she named it after the texture. My Guy and Teen Boy liked it well enough, but the name led to expectations that I think, in turn, led to disappointment. I'm not sure I'll ever make it again, but at least now I know I can toss in some of that xanthan gum to give shakes a more ice cream texture!

No comments:

Post a Comment