Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 25: Fried Cabbage with Onion, Bacon and Garlic

Original Source: All Recipes


A friend of mine tried this recipe before I did and said that it tasted great but never really softened during the cooking process as it remained a tad too crunchy. So, I tried it and think I overcompensated because mine came out so limp I would have paid for a little crunch! By overcompensating, I mean that I stuck it the cabbage in the oven for 10 minutes before tossing it into the bacon mix... then added a splash of broth to it because I worried about burning it if I left it unattended for 30 minutes. Regardless, like my friend, I can say the flavor is amazing! The texture was pitiful. I'll absolutely try this again, without the broth, and see if I can't get a little bite back into it! I also noticed as I munched my way through it as it cooked, that it tasted more done after 15 minutes or so (with the oven cooking time added), so I think next time I'll stick the cabbage in the oven for 10 while the bacon's cooking, then take it off the stove after 15 instead of 30.

If you like cabbage, give this a go. It really does have outstanding flavor.

Before cabbage.

Before mush
this is the stage I should have removed from heat :(  It was perfect.



GET THE RECIPE HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment