Friday, August 30, 2013

Day 75: Crock Pot Chicken

Original Source: Food.com




I'm getting really bad about this. Forgetting to take pictures because the smell of food in my house makes it impossible to wait long enough to find willpower to snap a photo. So, all I have to say about that, is thank goodness some recipes look just like the original photo when you're done. I can totally say that about this one.

I love roasted chicken. I used to make one every weekend. I even love a whole bird on the grill (check out Beer in the Rear chicken for a nice treat). But putting one in the crockpot? What???? Okay, I gave it a go.

Place chicken in crockpot, season with seasonings in recipe.. don't add water??? That was the first thing I noticed. And I panicked, because everything in the crockpot requires liquid. Doesn't it? The recipe says that the chicken will produce enough juices that no other liquid is required. Well, I don't know if it's because I bought organic, free range, small birds or what, but by about hour 3, my crock pot was still bone dry. My house smell great, but I don't know enough about the science of crockery cooking to chance it. I added about 1/2 a cup of water just as a precaution.

What resulted was a FANTASTICALLY tender, yummy bird. Granted, the skin wasn't that crisp, but that's probably because I added the water. This is definitely not leaving my recipe app!!!

HOWEVER, a word of precaution, though I know it's a matter of taste. . . . I did NOT like the left over version of this. I didn't like the smell when I heated it up for lunch, and the yummy, melt in your mouth quality it had the night before had vanished. Regardless, it probably would have been fine for a chicken salad or something.

TRY THIS!!!!! So freaking fast and easy. Set it and forget it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment