Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Day 77: Cajun "Shrimp" and Grits

Original Source: The Lettered Cottage


Did you notice the quotes around "shrimp" in the title of this post? Don't get confused. I didn't use faux shrimp or anything. I just didn't use any. For two reasons. 1) I didn't have any and no one volunteered to go get any. 2) My family has sort of lost our taste for shrimp these days. Still love it as a rule, but I think we were just burnt out. So I didn't make anyone, including myself, go pick any up. Why bother? There's enough protein in this meal with the sausage and cheese anyway.

So here are my thoughts. I'm going to keep this recipe, and then I'm going to tweak the hell out of it. The texture of the grits was perfect. Creamy and smooth and yummy. But, pardon my teen girl moment... OMG. The salt! I was afraid we'd all wake up shriveled and dead this morning. Between the sausage, the 1 TBSP of salt you cook in the grits and the massive amount of cheese, this was the saltiest thing I've eaten in a long time. And I'm a saltaholic, folks.  So if I can barely tolerate the saltiness, the rest of my family had to choke it down. I know that grits require salt. And usually quite a bit. But this recipe could probably omit it, or at least cut it in half. I'll try it again in a few months with that in mind, and maybe even with the shrimp and see if it's any better.







Still want the recipe? You asked for it. Get it HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment