Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day 118: Crockpot Pumpkin Oatmeal

Original Source: WannaBite.com

The recipe I tried came from this link at Wannabite.com, however, when I went back to the site for this post, it looks like it was removed. But since I'd already tried the recipe, I didn't want to waste the post, so I googled the recipe and found a similar one at Skinny Ms.

The only difference I could see right off from these 2 recipes were the one I used had milk instead of water, sugar instead of honey, butter and added a TB of chia seeds.

Recipe I tried:

  • 1 cup of steel cut oats
  • 2 cups of milk
  • ¼ cup of agave (or ½ cup of sugar)
  • 1 tsp of vanilla
  • 1 small can of pumpkin
  • 1 tbsp of chia seeds
  • 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
  • 4 tbsp of butter
Skinny Ms. Recipe:

  • 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 3-1/2 cups water (almond or regular milk can be substituted)
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • optional: 1/2 cup honey or 2 teaspoons vanilla liquid stevia*
  • * Sweetener can be added during cooking or cook it without and each person can add their own sweetener of choice on top after cooking.

  • I'd like to think the Skinny Ms recipe is better because the Wannabite one was a big whopping, NO I DON'T WANNA BITE. It was horrible. I don't have finished photos because by the time I woke up to eat it, it was burned. And that was only cooking it for the recommended 6-8 hours overnight, on low. It was bitter (probably from  being burned) and flavorless, despite the amazing smell.

    But at least there's a photo of what it started out looking like before we headed to bed.

    I won't ever make this again, but I will however try it my own way. Maybe with fruit, more liquid, less cook time. Something!

    Get the Skinny Ms Version here. Hopefully it's better than Wannabite's!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment