Thursday, April 30, 2015

Day 149: Vegan Meatball Subs

Original Source: Me :)


My daughter has apparently become so SICK of hearing why I'm trying to transition to veganism that she has decided to give in rather than fight it! Keep in mind, my kids and husband are not forced to cut animals from their diet, and so her "free will" decision was a super proud moment for me! While leaning more toward vegetarianism than veganism, she asked me if I could make her a meatless meatball sub that could taste fantastic. I agreed to try.

The result ended up with THIS post from her on instagram....
She was quite pleased, and this will indeed become a very regular meal in our home!

Serves 4

What you need:
Ready? It's super complicated.
4 Sub rolls
1 Jar Vegetarian Marinara sauce
1 bag of Gardein Meatless meatballs (Nate's are also great!)


What to do:

Set oven to broil.

1. Place marinara sauce in a large skillet. Add frozen "meatballs" and about 1/2 a cup of water. Simmer until meatballs are warm all the way through (about 12-15 min)
2. Slice rolls down the middle, keeping them in tact. Scoop out a bit of the bread in each one to make room for meatballs.
3. Broil rolls, open-faced, for 1-3 minutes, checking constantly so they don't burn. When edges of cuts begin to crisp, remove from oven and fill with 3-4 meatballs per sandwich, depending on length of rolls. Scoop a little extra sauce on each, sprinkle with vegan Parmesan cheese (I use Go Veggie!) and serve. SO DAMNED GOOD.



The second time I made these, I scooped them boat-style instead of a slice down the side.



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment