Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 148: Red Beans and Rice (Vegan)

Original Source: My Recipes

So the original recipe for this is not vegan, as it included andouille sausage. However, that's easily modified by simply omitting the sausage altogether or using a vegan sausage instead. (I have not tried the latter and can't vouch for it, but omitting it altogether resulted in a fantastic meal regardless!)


  • 1 lb dried red beans
  • 7 cups of water (Plus an additional cup if needed upon checking halfway through)
  • 1 large green bell pepper or 2 small, diced
  • 1/2-1 whole white onion, chopped (depending on taste.)
  • 3 celery stalks, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1/2 lb vegan andouille sausage (optional)
  • 3 TB creole seasoning
  • green onions for garnish, optional

Add all ingredients except green onions to slow cooker and cook on high for 7-8 hours or until beans are soft. Serve over rice and top with green onions if desired.

This is one of my new favorite go-tos. I forgot to take pictures last time I made it, but as it is cooking in my kitchen as I type this, I will likely add some this evening. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment