Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 51: Homemade Air and Fabric Freshener

Original Source: Little Mrs. Robinson


I love homemade cleaners. I try to go as chemical free in my house as possible since I truly believe your skin absorbs more horrible toxins in a day than your body can digest from any disgustingly unhealthy string of meals. So I found this page, which has several cleaners I plan on trying out, and attempted the air freshener first. (I have 5 pets, and therefore fresh air is a priority!)

Now, this "review" isn't positive, but I want it understood that I'm in no way bashing the recipe. Mostly, I'm bashing myself. I'm certain I did something wrong. Unless her photo (above) was doctored, it looks pretty creamy and lovely. Mine, however, looked like a horrible kindergarten experiment gone awry. 
The problem, I know, was the baking soda. It didn't blend. It completely separated so I was left with an ugly mixture that smelled amazing. So I sprayed it. Didn't really smell it much around my house, but that was okay (I used Gain softener as it was all I had left from my chemical laundry days) since I was hoping the baking soda would absorb the pet smells rather than cover them up. An hour later, I walk through my house and notice white spots on everything! (Below is a picture of a table in my living room. My floor looks similar as does the top of my trash can. LUCKILY I didn't see any on my sofa.
So I'll try the other recipes. I might even try this again, but only if someone can tell me what I might have done wrong. Heck, I'll probably even ask the original creator of the recipe.





No comments:

Post a Comment