Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Day 58: Cowboy Beans

Original Source: Food Network


Once again, I have confessions to make. 1) I've never made beans on the stove before. I'm a crockpot girl, like my mama taught me. And now I know why. More to come on that. 2) I had to change up 2 things - This was a last minute thing and I didn't know until it was too late that I didn't have an bacon (gasp!) hence the name change to Cowboy Beans from the original Cowboy Bacon Beans. And the second thing, I only had 3 cups of pintos in my cabinet, so I also used a cup of great northerns.

To both of those things, I can say I don't think it mattered. Granted I've never tried the original, so maybe there would be a difference, but I don't care. There was enough flavor to keep this recipe in my cookbook.

The only thing I'll change? The cooking method. Even as left overs the next day, these suckers still had some hard bits. Not break your tooth hard, but not as soft as I like my beans. So next time, I'll definitely throw them in the crockpot in the morning and let them do their thing without me.





Get the recipe HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment